- Grease and glad bake line a large cake tin whilst preheating a 160 oven... peel core thinly slice and decorate the bottom of this pan with a couple of pears.
- In a small pan melt together 100 grams of butter and 150 grams of brown sugar to form a caramel sauce and pour this all over the pear covered base.
- With an electric beater cream together 150 grams of butter and 175 grams of brown sugar until light and fluffy... add to this 4 eggs, one at a time incorporating each one completely.
- Next add 250 grams of golden syrup and 1 heaped tablespoon of freshly grated ginger while continuing to beat the mixture.
- Sift together in a separate bowl 300 grams of plain flour, 3 teaspoons of ginger powder and 1 1/2 teaspoons of bi-carb soda.
- Finally starting with sifted flour mix and ending with sifted flour mix ... alternatively add 250 grams of sour cream and the flour mix until all ingredients are incorporated into a batter.
- Pour batter onto the toffee and pear base which will become the top of the cake... loosely cover the tin with a piece of glad bake and al-foil and bake for about one and a half hours until a wooden skewer comes out clean... turn out up side down onto a cooling tray and if you can wait serve cold with a sprinkle of icing sugar or maybe some cream although my favourite is warm straight from the oven with nothing added... it truly is a stand alone cake.
Enjoy this experience it is truly a magical one...