- Pan fry a large cubed eggplant in a little oil and butter until a nice golden colour. Remove from the pan.
- Add a good splosh of oil to the pan along with a 1/2 teaspoon of each cumin, sesame seeds and crushed fenugreek seeds. Fry until the cumin go golden brown and then add a thumb sized piece of chopped fresh ginger, a couple cloves of garlic and a diced green chilli and cook for a minute or two.
- Then add 2 finely diced onions and gently fry for about 10 minutes until everything is softened.
- At this point return the eggplant and add 1/4 cup of tomato puree and a 1/2 teaspoon of both ground coriander and turmeric along with about 3/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Finally add about 1/2 cup (small can) of coconut milk and a handful of fresh coriander leaves.
No two ways about it I am not a lover of eggplant but I have to say this vegetarian meal or side dish is the exception to my rule. I really loved the soft veg and the lovely flavours created with this recipe.
* If you like it extra spicy add some chilli powder at the point you add the turmeric.