Broccoli and Quinoa Patties
|Broccoli and Quinoa ("Qin Wah")Fritters|
You know the old saying "the best thing since sliced bread" well I just gotta say that these patties in my opinion are "better than sliced bread" ... they are simply delicious and very very good for you.
Quinoa is a grain like crop grown primarily for its edible seeds. It is a pseuducereal rather than a true cereal or grain. It is cooked in the same way as rice and in this recipe I have used the absorption method so that the grain will retain the flavour of the liquid added to it. The nutrient composition is very good compared with common cereals.Quinoa grains contain essential amino acids and good quantities of calcium, phosphorous and iron.
• Firstly wash and place 1 cup of dry quinoa into a saucepan with 2 cups of stock of your choice for extra flavouring (water can be used instead)... bring to the boil and simmer gently for 15 minutes until all the liquid has absorbed... when cooked fluff up with a fork and transfer to a large bowl and set aside to cool.
• In the meantime steam a head of broccoli florets... mash with a fork and add to the mix.
• Purée a tin of white beans and add them also (these will add protein and help to bind the mix and no one will even know they are added).
• In a frying pan soften off a finely diced onion and the diced stems of a bunch of coriander... finely diced bacon can be added here also if you wish.
• When the mix is cooled add a lightly beaten egg, a cup of mozzarella cheese, a large handful of diced fresh coriander (basil can be substituted) and salt and pepper.
• Form the mixture into patties and refrigerate for about 20 minutes before shallow frying them to a golden brown... do this quickly in hot oil until heated through... serve with a tomato relish or similar to your taste.